Friday 14 March 2008

Week 10 - Response to Joe E.

Joe's blog wins the most entertaining of the quarter by far. I agree with most of what he said except for one thing. Joe calls to "embrace popular culture." I'd disagree with that one. I agree the church has its head in the sand (for the most part) and I'd agree that alternative cultures created by the church are often weak efforts to be cool. I don't think the answer is to "embrace popular culture." We should work WITHIN popular culture but not necessarily embrace it. As youth workers we should stop scouting out what kids will someday grow up to be our volunteer leaders and interns and start pouring into kids that will be the next generation of movie producers. We need to sow the message of Jesus withing pop culture without fully embracing it.

No comments: