Wednesday 6 February 2008

Week 5 - Wednesday Class Reflections

I'm a "hegemonist" - at least when it comes to advertising. I can't escape the belief that media and pop culture often sets the "mental agenda" for many of us, especially our young. I understand that traditional consumers are becoming producers and so confusing the landscape. But, as with the MTV example we cited today, there are still commercials. I don't think MTV cares what goes on the air - as long as advertisers see good ratings and demographics. When advertisers let consumers be the producers of their ads, you might start to sway me away from my hegemonic thoughts. I've worked with kids for 12 years - you'll have a hard time convincing me they, and we, aren't being swayed, even manipulated, by advertising.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good reflection.