Saturday 16 February 2008

Week 6 - Response to Emmet's blog

Emmet's blog is perceptive on the "consumer" identification of individuals within our culture. My thought is: How sad!!! We have become passive in our self-identification. Passive in that we are allowing others' products to identify us. I agree with Emmet - this must negatively affect our creativity. Sure, there will always be outstanding, creative minds, but I wonder if the average person is not forced to be active in their self-identity because they are passively receiving identity from products and the marketeers behind them. I don't think there is a conscious choice to be identified by consumption, it happens without even thinking about it. However, I don't think advertisers are naive to this principle - far from it.

No comments: